Thursday, June 4, 2009

new pigments!

So, my latest thing is egg tempera painting - mixing your own and using real egg, etc... Did it years ago in school and loved it and in my current state of unemployment after working on the film "Coraline", decided to give it a try again.
Just got my order from Earth Pigments today! They were a joy to mix on the palette! I didn't need to even grind them more... just used the old palette knife and water. There is something so satisfying about gathering raw materials and making your own supplies. I've really got a thing for old techniques. I like thinking that this is exactly how someone would have stood here 700 years ago, preparing materials for egg tempera.
I'll post more of my experiments into other ancient things later...like the first way humans made glass vessels...before they figured out blowing or had the capacity to make fires hot enough to melt larger globs of glass.
Oh... the pigments were really a good price as well. Anyone should check them out if you're into this kind of thing. The full set of earths and ochres end up being $4 apiece for 100gm each...

No comments:

Post a Comment